Suggest treatment for tanning

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have dark skin colour on my face, neck and hands; Otherwise my usual body colour is not very dark.

This seems to the result of poor care for long time. Is there something which can be done to match up the face colour with my normal skin colour.

I'm not sure, if this question is asked to right specialty doctor; please help to route if it is inappropriate.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Broad spectrum sunscreen+skin lightening cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic

I am Dr. Kakkar. I have gone through your concern and I have understood it.

Your main concern seems to be tanning.

UV A part of the electromagnetic spectrum is mainly responsible for tanning.

Therefore, a good sunscreen should have broad spectrum UV A coverage in addition to UV B coverage, in order to be able to prevent tanning and it needs to be applied in sufficient quantity and every 2-3 hourly.

A sunscreen with minimum 30 SPF would be adequate. It should mention both UV B and UV A coverage. Therefore it is important to select the right sunscreen for desired effects

It should be applied in the following quantity:

--3ml for face and neck(a little more than 1/2 teaspoon)
--3ml for each arm(a little more than 1/2 teaspoon).

A sunscreen should be applied every 2-3 hours.

At night you can use a cream containing one or more of the skin lightening agents e.g kojic acid, glycolic acid, arbutin or hydroquinone etc once daily to gradually fade away the XXXXXXX

Demelan cream is one such cream, marketed by gracewell/glenmark pharmaceuticals in XXXXXXX It contains glycolic acid, kojic acid and arbutin as main active ingredients.

You can also opt for a few peeling sessions from a dermatologist e.g Glycolic peel Or Retises CT peel (Yellow peel, also known as skin lightening peel)

I hope you will find this information useful.
regards
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Thanks for the detailed information.

How much does it cost for each peeling sessions from a dermatologist?
Will this session really produce good results?
Can you also recommend product name for each of the referred creams?

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Skin lightening treatment

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

A peeling session would cost you from around 500/- to 2500/- depending on the area and the type of peel performed. Retises CT peel is costlier as compared to Glycolic peel.

Of course, peeling produces results. However it is advisable to get a series of peeling sessions rather than just 1 session(say 4-6 sessions at an interval of 2 weeks).

Demelan cream contains glyolic acid, arbutin, kojic acid. It is marketed by gracewell/glenmark in XXXXXXX Besides, Glyaha HQ cream containing glycolic acid and hydroquinone is also an excellent skin lightening agent.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 28 hours later
Would you recommend any clinic in Yelahanka for the peeling session?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Peeling

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Almost all the dermatologists perform chemical peeling sessions. You can visit a dermatologist/clinic of your own choice in your region.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj