Suggest treatment for symptoms of pleurisy

Dr. Kathy Robinson

Posted on Mon, 23 Mar 2015 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I had costochondritis for 3 weeks that was very painful. Since then, it left me with a feeling that something hard and heavy in the left and right breast near the side by my arms. It hurts when I take a deep breath or lift my arms over my head. I don't know what this could be.
Answered by Dr. Kathy Robinson 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
pluritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello and thank you for your question.
It sounds like you may have developed pluritis or pleurisy. That is an inflammation of the tissue surrounding the lungs and can make it painful to take a deep breath. That is called pleuritic chest pain. Treat it with warm compresses and antiinflammatory medications like ibuprofen or naproxen. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water. If it is not resolving soon then see your doctor. It can take a few weeks to clear up. If you develop fever or severe shortness of breath see a doctor immediately
Dr. Robinson
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad