• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of anxiety

Posted on Mon, 10 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: Hi,

I'm a 35 year old woman in generally good health. I've been having some dizzy spells and feeling lightheaded. My thyroid is normal and I'm not anemic. I do have some issues with anxiety. Yesterday, after a few hours in a car, I was walking down the street and felt like my legs were a little heavy and didn't seem like they were feeling quite normal. Like they didn't quite want to move normally. This terrified me, and I then started feeling a little panicked that something might be wrong. I am still scared that something is wrong and wonder if you think just anxiety combined with sitting in a car could cause that sensation?
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be anxiety related. Discussion follows.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your symptoms are likely to be caused by anxiety. If you hyperventilate as many people with anxiety and panic do, you can develop dizziness, tingling sensations and heaviness in the limbs. In severe cases it may go into muscle spasm also ( carpopedal spasm).
So relax, eat wholesome healthy food, exercise at least 30 minutes a day and practise stress relieving techniques like yoga.
Taking Lorazepam on a regular basis is not advisable as it may lead to dependence. Occasional tablet to tide over an acute anxiety or panic may be okay, but better to manage with the healthy lifestyle.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Dr. Noble Zachariah