Suggest treatment for swollen varicose vein in the leg
Skin infection and varicose vein/s
Thanks for your query and the clear image/picture.
To recapitulate: Female/51 - have one varicose in leg for years - on holiday in the States - the vein is swollen and the skin is red...
As per the history you have provided and the very clear picture posted, my thoughts are:
- the redness looks due to furunculosis in mild form, the inflammation is patchy/dot like with hair in the center. This might have increased the blood supply and hence the vein looks engorged.
Secondly, since you have varicose vein for years and you may be sitting/standing or walking as you are vacation, it may enhance the engorgement of the already varicose veins.
I would advise you the following:
- Apply solution Povidone iodine to the whole limb the make the skin sterile.
- Try to consult a Doctor as you may need a prescription for an antibiotic.
- Once you reach home, take an appointment for venous color doppler the the lower limbs and get diagnosed and treated accordingly at an appropriate time.
Till then you can keep the lower limbs elevated when in relaxing position at the room.
I hope this answers your query, to get a proper diagnosis and treatment.
Please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Varicose vein swollen and bruised in leg
- Best treatment for varicose veins
- Varicose veins treatment in nagercoil
- Medical treatment of varicose veins
- Private treatment for varicose veins
- Foam treatment for varicose veins
- Alternative treatment for varicose veins
- Red lower leg swollen varicose veins treatment
- Varicose veins treatment in tamilnadu
- Self treatment for varicose veins