Suggest treatment for swollen, tender and infected finger nail
As detailed below.
Thanks for your query.
To recapitulate: Female/67 - infected hangnail on right ring finger - top and inside of finger is red - throbbing - tender - 3 days - Acetaminophen - Wants treatment...
This looks to be Paronychia and the following treatment may help you.
First of all, try to keep the affected part above the heart level; this means if you are lying down, you can keep the right hand above the heart level by keeping it upright with support. This will help to reduce the pain and swelling immediately.
- Take anti-inflammatory medicine like Ibuprofen if it suits you and may need anything like tramadol or contramol for pain relief (needs a prescription).
- Since this is an infection, you need a course of an antibiotic. (needs a prescription).
- Since it is present since 3 days, it may start pointing out as while skin which can be cut through without pain as it s a dead skin, the pus is let out and you will fine with continuation of proper medication as advised above.
- Rarely may need a small incision for drainage.
I hope this answer helps you. please feel free to ask for further relevant queries if you feel that there is a gap of communication.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for swollen foot
- Suggest treatment for painful swollen fingers
- Suggest the treatment for swollen legs
- Staph nail infection treatment
- Laser treatment for nail infections
- Treatment and cure for finger infection
- Suggest treatment for worm infection
- Treatment and cure for nail infection
- Suggest treatment for swollen fingers and painful ear
- Swollen finger treatment