question-icon

Suggest treatment for swollen knee after injury

Posted on Wed, 13 May 2015
Question: I twisted my knee 2 weeks ago. The inside of my knee is swollen still. The patella seems to be slipping.
My calf "falls asleep" when I sit down. There is also that stupid "electric volt" sensation. I know 2 weeks is not long in ortho but I don't know if I should get this looked at.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
probably knee contusion with effusion

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Yes, it is not long for osteoarticular injuries especially in knees where there is longer period of recovery even up to 6 weeks.
But in your case there may be effusion into knee joint and it should be punctured by needle and aspirated especially if there is so called Baltoman effect where patella is "flowing". Also, tutor cast may be required. So you should se orthopedis when you can. this is not emergency but these measures may be helpful. Wish you good health. regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon