question-icon

What causes a tender spot under the left rib cage?

Posted on Wed, 20 Sep 2017
Question: On the left side about an inch under my bottom rib it is tender to touch. It feels like pressing on a bruise, but there is no visible bruise there. I noticed it yesterday while picking up my daughter and her knee hit it. It only hurts when I press on it, it does not hurt all the time. Is it a muscle injury or something internally serious? Is it possible i strained that area? I have no other symptoms. I cannot get into the doctor for a month? Any ideas?
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein (1 hour later)
Brief Answer:
Probably caused by the hit

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.

It sounds to me like contusion of the abdominal wall and this is commonly seen.

Even if there is no visible hematoma, there still can be an injury to deeper tissues in abdominal wall such, muscles and nerves. Internal injuries happen after more intensive injuries, there would be associated nausea, vomiting or dizziness and in case of a spleen injury, symptoms would be dramatic.

So I'd suggest applying cold compresses, take nonsteroid painkillers(eg. Tylenol) and rest. It should improve within a few days only.

Wish you good health.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon