Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for swollen and bleeding gums

Excellent
Question
My dentist can't seem to figure out why this is happening... A month ago, i noticed some pain around my upper right teeth (in the back) and the gums felt swollen and bleeding. I looked in the mirror and they are indeed swollen, but they appear "cracked". When i floss, it goes a lot further up than it should. I have CVID, an immunodeficiency, so he thought it was just a viral thing that got a hold of me and wasnt letting go (i had a viral thing a cohole weeks before it all started). He ruled out "trench mouth" amd took x-rays, so he ruled out periodontal disease. Ive been using chlorhexidine mouthwash twice daily but its not healing. It is (maybe?) bleeding less, but no real change. So, we're going to wait another week to see if it gets better, or if i should get referred to a periodontist. One of the things he threw out there if its not viral is that it could be pre-cancerous. He's concerned about how it started around all of the teeth affected at the same time, which he feels is another reason its not technically a dental issue. I can't risk these teeth... And moreso, I'm worried it could be (pre)cancerous. Peopke woth CVID have higher rates of many cancers. What should i do? And how concerned should i be? (Note: the x-rays show an 8-pole electrode which was inplanted in my cheek 1 1/2 years ago as part of a peripheral nerve stimulator system because i have trigeminal neuralgia)
Posted Sun, 17 Aug 2014 in Dental Health

Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Advised biopsy

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.
Thanks for sharing your concern.

After going through the history posted here,I will suggest you to visit an oral pathologist and get a biopsy done.Once you get the biopsy reports, it would be clear whether the lesion is cancerous or not.Once cancer is ruled out, then it can be managed by periodontal treatment methods.Meanwhile please do not stress yourself and just go for biopsy.
Until then, maintain very good oral hygiene.

Please let me know for further doubts.
Thanks.