Suggest treatment for swollen abdomen

Dr. Klerida Shehu

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Mon, 11 Jul 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: Starting two days ago, I have had a swollen abdomen (just under my navel) which is very sore - feels like a boil when something touches it or if I cough. I do not feel hungry, but have eaten some - not much. I feel very tired and want to just rest and sleep. My bowels are moving without strain, but not well. I am wondering whether it could be a case of gastritis (sp?) or colitis?
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow

Detailed Answer:
I read carefully all your concerns and I can say as follows :
1 . You are reporting to have two day with swollen abdomen and feeling tired.
These symptoms seems to be related with an acute infection like viral gastritis or with colitis.

2.You symptoms are not typical for gastritis since the abdominal discomfort is in the lower part of it below navel.
3.To my opinion you need to:
- use probiotic
- avoid sugar foods
- use antispasmodic drugs like dyclocimin
- eat often and small amount of meal
- take rest
If the symptoms doesn't get improved after a couple of days than you need to be examined with:
- abdominal ultrasound
- blood work
- fecal culture test
Hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida
Follow up: Dr. Klerida Shehu 2 hours later
The drug you mentioned is not even mentioned on the Internet. Are you sure it is spelled correctly? Is there an over-the-counter drug for this purpose?

Also, you didn't mention a possibility of bladder or uterine infection. Could that be a possibility?

Also, you mentioned acute infection. Is there something I need to take to handle the infection.. I must say it feels/acts very much like there could be infection.
Answered by Dr. Klerida Shehu 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow...

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,
With regards to the drug i feel sorry, yes it is misspelled.The correct drug name is Dicyclomine. It will help to improve abdominal pain.

You are asking why i haven't mentioned bladder or uterine infection.
The reason is that usually bladder infection is associated with burning, fever and not with bowel moving changes [ you said that bowel movement are not well].

Uterine infection is associated with smear secretions and colorful secretions.This is why I mentioned only the diagnosis that are routinely associated with your symptoms.
with regards to acute infection I intended acute viral gastroenteritis that passes after a couple of days. It need only symptomatic treatment and healthy diet.
hope it was helpful to you.
Dr.Klerida