Suggest treatment for swelling in the knee after an injury

Dr. Muthu Krishnan

Posted on Mon, 9 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello. I had a bad fall in my living room (carpeted) on 11/06/17. I wasn't dizzy. I tripped on a throw rug. I could not get up by myself so I had to call the Firemen to come and get me up. I was able to drive myself to the Emergency Room a mile down the road because I fell on my left side, not my driving leg fortunately. My left knee (was my good knee) was injured and swelled immediately, and my left foot must've been injured too because it is still swollen and the skin around the ankle is hard. The bruising from the knee injury migrated down to the outside of my left foot and a little on the toes. That is mostly gone now. My question is: Since my knee and shin are still very sore to the touch and my ankle is still swollen, is there something I can do to help this to get better? I would appreciate your advice. Thank you very much. XXXXXXX XXXX, YYYY@YYYY .
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
There are some methods to reduce the bruise size.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to HCM.I have analysed your question very thoroughly.You have no bone fractures.You have bruise.My opinion is that,
1.Elevate the bruised leg using pillows.It will help in reducing the size of the bruise.
2.Apply cold compressions over the bruised area.
3.Take analgesics to relieve pain.
4.Maintain good hygiene around the bruised
area.
5.Dont scratch the bruised area.
Thank you.
Feel free to ask your questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 10 hours later
OK. Thank you very much for your help.

What about the swelling and hardness of my ankle area? Would it help if I soaked it in warm water with Epsom salts?
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Yes.You can soak your leg in warm water.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Welcome to Healthcare magic.
I have analysed your question very thoroughly.
The bruise will migrate from one area to another area.So only you have swelling in the ankles.
If you soak your leg in warm water containing Epsom salts,it will give good relief.
Thank you.
Feel free to ask your questions.
We are here to help you.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Muthu Krishnan 2 hours later
Very good. Thank you very much for your help, Doctor. I will try that.

Have a very nice day.
XXXXXXX XXXX
YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Muthu Krishnan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Thanks dear.

Detailed Answer:
Hi dear,
Thanks for trusting us.
You can contact us anytime for your medical questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad