question-icon

What causes spasms in the calf muscles?

Posted on Sat, 17 Mar 2018
Question: I fell a week ago I fell hard and injured my right knee. The knee is still sore but my calf muscles are now spasing and are very sore?
Answered by Dr. Ornela Ademovi (3 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Ultrasound needed

Detailed Answer:
I understand your concern. The pain and spasm to the calf muscles maybe due to leaked fluid from the knee injury, in which case heat packs and Tylenol or Advil should help.
However, the most important thing is to rule out a possible blood clot so I highly recommend you have a Doppler ultrasound. All this, assuming you already had an MRI of the knee to rule out a torn ligament or a meniscal tear.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Best of luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Ornela Ademovi