Suggest treatment for swelling in elbows and fingers in a BP patient

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 16 Oct 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: left elbow sore with pressure for about 2 weeks, pain 2-3 with pressure of leaning on a table. now have noticed swelling from elbow to fingers. no significant pain. pulse and blood pressure that arm readily readable with an electronic cuff. YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Students elbow needs rest ice elevation

Detailed Answer:
Hi there.

Welcome to Healthcare Magic.

You seem to be suffering from Students elbow which is inflammation if the oleceanon bursa at the back of the elbow, due to constant pressure over a hard surface.

Apply ice to the painful region. Take pain miley like Tablet Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day for 5 days. Avoid resting the elbow on the desk while writing. In 15 days of you so not get relief, you can get a steroid injection at the back of the elbow and also try localised ultrasonic therapy for relief.

Most important is avoid resting the elbow against hard surface for atleast 15 days. Also keep the arm over a pillow while sleeping so that it stays elevated.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T