Suggest treatment for swelling below the nose while on Pradaxa and Aspirin

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in General Health
Question: I am taking Pradaxa and 81 mg. aspirin. I was hit hard in the mouth. There was so external bleeding and only slight swelling below my nose. This is not something to worry about like a hard hit to the head, right? Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Very likely it is not something to worry.

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

The face and nose have many blood vessels and this might explain the external bleeding and also having pradaxa as an anticoagulant might make this more obvious.

I do not have much information on the trauma and what happened. If you did not fall from height, the bleeding has stopped already and no other signs of hemorrage like skin bruises in other areas, bleeding gums or dark black stools than very likely this is nothing to worry.

I would recommend you to relax and not worry if the bleeding has already stopped and you feel well.

If you have bruises in other areas of your skin or your gums bleed more than before or you have dark black stools then would be a good idea to see your doctor.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please let me know if any more clarifications are needed.

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T