Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
159 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for swelling and foul smelling liquid discharge in the lower legs

Dec 2016
User rating for this question
Answered by

Practicing since : 2012
Answered : 691 Questions
Severely swollen legs that are seeping clear water below the knees. Person is male age 67. Has frequent coughing spells, little or no appetite and has lost quite a lot of weight over 3 to 4 weeks. He is very week. The fluid that is seeping from the lower legs has an unpleasant oder. Prescrs given to him in 10/25/17 were OF Bromphenir, Promethazine -DM and Prednisone.
Fri, 4 May 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Rishu Saxena 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Can be congestive cardiac failure.

Detailed Answer:
Hi thanks for posting query on this forum.
Most likely he is having severe edema in body.
Most common cause of edema in old age can be an ongoing coronary artery disease.In such a condition, the arteries supply insufficient amount of oxygen and blood to the heart. Subsequently, the heart receives scanty amount of nutrients and oxygen.Slowly and slowly it loses its pumping action causing reversal of blood into lungs and other part of body leading to severe edema.Sometimes the sudden,unanticipated blockage of the coronary artery and the ensuing stoppage of the flow of the blood lead to a heart attack. The heart muscles are damaged in such a case and prevent the proper functioning further worsening the condition.
Kidney and liver can also be involved.

Take him to hopsital and get following investigations done-
2d echo of heart- to rule out working of heart.
Renal function tests
Serum electrolytes
urine culture
Swab culture from oozing fluid
liver function tests
ultra sound abdomen.
Pulmonary function test.

These tests should be performed initially and proper medictions should be started after that.

Follow up with reports!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Lab Tests
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Cardiologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor