Suggest treatment for swelling above ear

Posted on Thu, 18 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Swollen above left ear. Like a vein that rolls when I rub it. Jaw hurts, ear full, little numbbehind ear, neck pain, sshoulderand sometime down arm. Upper arm sore spot when rubbed many ssymptoms very uncomfortable. One month so far.
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out Temporal Arteritis.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. These seem to be the symptoms of Temporal arteritis.

2. The blood vessel that rolls when you rub it is most likely to be the temporal artery.

3. The pain in the jaw, the numbness in the ear, the neck pain are all seen in this condition. The sore shoulder and arm may be the rheumatic pain associated with this condition.

4. Get an ultrasound and blood tests done including ESR (Erythocyte Sedimentation Rate), C-RP (C Reactive Protein), Liver Function Tests. If the Renal function tests are within normal limits, an MRI (3 Tesla) with contrast will help diagnose this condition. A biopsy can also be done of this blood vessel.

5. Treatment is high dose steroids that are tapered off. Anti-inflammatory medication may help.

6. Upload your test results for discussing further treatment options.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist