Suggest treatment for supraclavicular lymph node

Oncologist, Surgical
Question
I have a swollen left supraclavicular lymph node. At first it was slightly larger than 1.0 cm. My oncologist ordered a biopsy, which was negative for metastatic cancer, as I am almost 2 years status post breast cancer. The swelling has decreased since the biopsy. All my labs, including tumor markers, are normal. What could be the cause of this swelling?
Posted Fri, 15 Aug 2014 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Prashant Sharma 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
do not worry

Detailed Answer:

There can be many reasons of supraclavicular lymph node enlargement. The final diagnosis is made by biopsy only, which is the most reliable test. If biopsy says it to be negative, we must rely on that. In fact we can get a second opinion from another pathologist. As all your tests including biopsy are normal, so you need not to worry now. what you need is regular checkup.

Small theoretical explanation - the suspicion of metastasis also depends on the clinical picture of disease i.e. what was the stage of disease, has the treatment completed, aggressiveness of tumor etc. If it is an early stage malignancy, chances of metastasis are less and you need not to worry. If it is aggressive disease, you will need more frequent examinations.

Feel free to ask further.