Suggest treatment for strep throat infection

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 9 May 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: my son just started a new job and doesnt have insurance, he has pink eye and possibly strep throat what can he do to treat it?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Seems like a simple viral infection- advises given

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking at HCM.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

If your son has sore throat and pink eye, the most common condition that can cause both at the same time is a viral infection. Does your son have fever, cough, blocked nose, fatigue?

If he has some cough and blocked nose this confirms that it is very likely it is due to a common viral respiratory infection. This is a self limiting infection that does not need specific treatment and just taking some ibuprofen and paracetamol for any pain or fever and rest and fluids is all that is needed.

If he has yellow secretions from the eye a secondary bacterial infection of the conjuctiva might be developing and this is common and not dangerous also and most of the times goes away with just good hygiene, removing the dry secretions with gauzes with warm water, using personal towels. If no better in 5 days he will need some antibiotic drops like ciprofloxacine eye drops. These simple self limiting infections do not cause eye pain or vision impairment so if you have any of these please see your doctor as soon as possible.

If your son has the sore throat with fever for more than 4 days and he is worsening than sometimes some oral antibiotics might be needed and if no allergic to peniciline than he can get Amoxiciline 1 g, twice a day for 7-10 days. If allergic to penicillin than he can take Azythromycine 500 mg, 1 tb a day for 3 days. Drinking plenty and rest is important also.

So to conclude:
1. if he has also cough or blocked nose and fever less than 4 days very likely is a common viral infection- just take paracetamol, ibuprofen, fluids, rest.
2. if he has dry eye secretions, needs to remove them with warm water and watch hygiene- can be contagious. If no better in 4-5 days needs antibiotic eye drops
3. if eye pain or vision impairment he needs to see a doctor as soon as possible
4. if fever for more than 4 days and if he is worsening he might need oral antibiotics.

I hope this is helpful to you and answers to your questions but please feel free to contact me in case anymore clarifications are needed related to this.

Kind regards

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad