Suggest treatment for stomach pain and loose motions

Question
Since morning i am having stomach ache and i have passed 5-6 times motion with kind of minor constipation, i had taken yesterday 150-200 gm of dried peanuts as yesterday i had fast. Could you please let me know the reason for the same along with line of treatment and food to be taken.
Thanks
Posted Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Probiotic + antacids...

Detailed Answer:

It would have been better if you had specified the location of pain and type of pain (cramps or burning). From what I understand you probably have lower stomach ache with increased urge to defecate without complete evacuation (no significant stool output). The features suggest probable intestinal infection.

Dried peanuts may be a cause if you had peanuts for the first time.

In this circumstance, I would add probiotics such as yoghurts and sporloc tablets three times a day. Along with it, proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole will help you. Drink plenty of fluids and include lots of fruits and vegetables in your diet. Avoid caffeinated drinks including tea and coffee.

Most often symptoms resolve in a day or two. But if it persists for more than 3 days, it is advisable to see a doctor. A stool tests is entailed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need clarifications.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for stomach pain and loose motions 1 hour later
Sir,
I ate jamuns[fruit] in the night and drink milk after that. Could it be the cause for stomach ache, i am having pain in lower abdomen and having no gas pass since morning. Please advice the line of treatment along with the food/fruits.
regards.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 26 hours later
Brief Answer:
Food might be the cause...

Detailed Answer:
Something that you are may have been the cause. If stomach aches persist I would treat you with dicyclomine (meftal)

Most often symptoms such as these resolve spontaneously in a few days. So I hope you are better now.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for stomach pain and loose motions 18 hours later
As advised by you, i have started taking omniprazol and sporloc tablets twice a day, could you please let me know how long shall i continue the same, is there any other medicine i need to include along with it as feeling heaviness in stomach in middle.

Please reply asap.
Regards.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
You should be evaluated...

Detailed Answer:

If abdominal discomfort continue to persist for more than 2 days, you should be physically examined by a doctor. The doctor should order for a stool tests after performing examination. An ultrasound scan may be needed if necessary before starting further treatment.

You can continue omeprazole, sporolac and meftal tablets in the meantime. Drink plenty of fluids and eat lots of fruits and vegetables.

Follow-up: Suggest treatment for stomach pain and loose motions 22 minutes later
I have already taken 2 tablets of omeprazole, sporolac each and find relax in pain yesterday and then thought of not taking further but again in early morning i felt the same as i ate chappatis yesterday therefore would like to know shall i continue the same combination [not with meftal] or try with meftal twice a day. Please advice asap. Is there any side effects for the same?
Regards.

Answered by Dr. Prasad 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can continue the drugs for some more time.

Detailed Answer:
You should try consume easily digestable food such as rice gruel, idli and other rice menu such as plain curd rice for next few days. \

Gut disturnbance take a few days to settle. High fibre diet, excess spices and caffeinated diet can affect the recovery. So avoid those. Prefer to take the ones I mentioned above.

You can continue omeprazole for a week and sporolac for another couple of days. If the abdominal pain is severe, meftal tablets can be taken twice a day for a day or two. Both omeprazole and dicyclomine come with less significant side effects which will not worry you. So do not be worried. However these medicines should not be repeated without proper medical guidance in future.

Hope I am clear. If all your questions are answered, please close this discussion.