Suggest treatment for soreness on tongue after fiberoptic laryngoscopy procedure

Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta

Posted on Tue, 20 Sep 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hello
I had fiberoptic laryngoscopy yesterday. The procedure took some time because I was having gag reflex when the ENT specialists was inserting the camera into my throat. He was pulling my tongue out with a crepe bandage. Because he had to do it couple of times, my tongue got very sore. Then he sprayed the anesthetic agent couple of times.

The procedure was painful and when I returned home, my tongue was very sore. Yesterday, I had difficulty drinking water and coughing. Today, the pain is slightly less. I can drink water but I feel pain in the floor of my mouth when I am coughing. I noticed the area is red, swollen and part of it looks like a white lesion.

Please tell me when will the pain subside and if there's anything to worry. I am attaching an image here, so you can take a look.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 3 hours later
Brief answer....nothing to worry
Detailed answer....
I have read your query and understand your concern.
I have seen the photograph also which definitely shows some inflammation and whiteness but it is not to be worried at all because it is quite common after such a procedure.
Since tongue is a highly vascular organ,it tends to heal very fast.
I hope you would be all right in next 3-4 days.
There is no need of any particular treatment for it. Just wait and watch as it heals in next few days.
I hope it helps,however you are most welcome to revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Thanks

Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 25 hours later
Hello

There's no pain in the tongue when it is at rest. But when I am moving it, I feel pain in the sideways. Also, when I eat something after a long duration, I feel pain in tongue during the initial bites. Are these normal?

Also, the ENT doctor used the numbing spray in my throat and tongue couple of times. After that, I've noticed spicy food is irritating my throat. Can throat numbing spray cause this?

Kindly reply
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 9 hours later
As I said there is nothing to worry as these are all temporary symptoms and are caused by catching hold of tongue and spray. Nothing to worry as these would heal shortly.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 1 hour later
Hello

Thanks for your reply. I collected the laryngoscopy report yesterday, since the doctor is away, I don't understand what the report says. So I putting everything in the report here, please interpret this.

Premedication: Local anesthesia
Findings: Normal
Oral cavity: Normal
Palate: Normal
Soft palate: Normal
Uvula: Normal
Posterior 1/3rd of tongue: Normal
Epiglottis: Normal
Vallecula: Normal
Pharyngoepiglottic fold: Normal
Aryepiglottic fold: Congested
Ventricular band: Normal
Vocal cord: Normal
Posterior pharyngeal wall subglottis: Normal
Other findings: Normal

Kindly tell me what these report indicates. Is my throat normal or do I have any problem?
It is a absolutely normal report.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 4 hours later
But the report says Aryepiglottic fold is congested.

What does that mean? Can there by any complication due to the congestion?

Kindly answer
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Yes definitely report suggests some congestion in aryepiglotic fold.
Although not a problem but you may need some treatment in case of some symptoms. It would depend upon the basic cause for this congestion.
Your ENT doctor would be able to tell much better about it. there is nothing to worry about it.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 days later
Hello

I am attaching the slides from the laryngoscopy test here. Kindly have a look. Do these slides look okay? Or is there any inflammation?

Kindly reply.
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 13 hours later
Although I have seen the slides but frankly speaking can not comment on it because I am a physician and not a pathologist. I am not competent or trained to read such slides.
It would be better to seek opinion of a pathologist regarding this.
Sorry for this as I couldn't help you.
ThanksĀ