Suggest treatment for sore throat while on Augmentin 375mg

Posted on Tue, 16 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi i am 34 yr having Sore throat from last 15 days but its nt getting better tried all home remeidy like gargle warm water etc from last four days i started taking Augmentin 375 once in a day but no relief kindly suggest what to do..
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Pharyngitis, Augmentin dose, supportive medication, rule out other causes.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query.

1. The image shows a mild sore throat with granular pharyngitis.

2. You need to increase the dose of Augmentin to at least 625 mg twice a day as 375 mg once a day is inadequate.

3. Add an anti-allergic mucolytic and an anti-inflammatory medication, preferably prescribed by a local doctor after throat examination. A throat swab and a routine blood test should be sent. Diet should be bland. Acid reflux and a post nasal drip should be ruled out.

I hope that I have answered your query. If you have any more questions I will be available to answer them.

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 2 hours later
thank you doctor these are not the symtoms of throat camcer na
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
No, definitely not.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. No, these are definitely not the symptoms of throat cancer.

2. This is a pharyngitis and will get better.

Wishing you good health,

Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Follow up: Dr. Sumit Bhatti 10 hours later
Thanx a lot doc for ur valuable suggestions one more thing i want to know sir that how long i need to take augmentin 625
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 22 minutes later
Brief Answer:
At least 5-7 days.Let your doctor decide.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing back.

1. The Augmentin should be taken for at least 5-7 days. Let your doctor decide the exact duration based on your symptoms and signs. This course can extend up to 14-21 days.

2. Be aware of side effects such as loose motions and rashes amongst others. Hence it is important to take these medication sunder strict medical supervision.

Regards.
Dr. Sumit Bhatti

ENT Specialist