Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
189 Doctors are Online
Ask a Dentist   »  

Suggest treatment for small bony prominence on the gum

User rating for this question
Answered by
Practicing since : 2007
Answered : 1011 Questions
I have been sick with several respiratory infections the past year, and had right facial and right ear pain during the course of the infection. I am still coughing (dry cough) and have recently discovered an abnormal bony prominence on my right upper oral gum, is sharply protruding when I probe it with my finger. My face is not swollen or puffy. I guess I need to see a dentist first to evaluate this abnormality. I am kinda freaked out about it. I work in an environment that is potentially toxic. Is an old building that has been rehabbed and mold was discovered in the walls of the building during the work.
Posted Fri, 14 Feb 2014 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Requested for details Detailed Answer: Hello and welcome. Thanks for sharing your concern. After going through the complete history posted here I would request for few more details to answer better in this regard. 1.When did you notice it or since when it is present in your mouth? 2.Do you have any pain and soreness in that area of gum?Any kind of bleeding from gum? 4.Any redness or irritation in the area of gum and can you please describe the extent of lesion. 3.When did you last see your dentist? It would be very nice if you can attach an image of the lesion for better view. Awaiting response. Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for small bony prominence on the gum 52 minutes later
1. I noticed it about 3 wks ago. 2. no pain, until I probe it with my finger. 3. Saw dentist about 2 yrs ago. 4. small bony lesion, covered with tissue, sharp, pointed, protrudes about 0.3-0.4 cm. Is impossible to capture with my cell phone (pic) on my right upper gum, around the 2nd to last molar. (had wisdom teeth extracted at age 20) Again, is freaking me out! Thanks, XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 2 hours later
Brief Answer: palatine XXXXXXX Detailed Answer: Hello and thanks for reply. As per the given details it appears to be a XXXXXXX (hard palatine bony swelling in the upper jaw). I would advice you to go for a small Intra oral periapical x ray to see its extent and also to rule out any soft tissue lesion. For now, you can relax and keep a close watch on the developing lesion.It should bother you only if there is pain,redness,swelling or loss of sensation in that area. The signs that I have mentioned to you are important signs of inflammation. Bony swelling like XXXXXXX needs no treatment until it interferes in speech or mastication. For cosmetics reasons definitely, you can go for correction of XXXXXXX by your oral surgeon. Hope I have explained you in detail. For any further doubt please let me know. Thanks. Take care.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Dentist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor