• question-icon

Suggest treatment for skin infection on elbow, arm, hands and ankles

Posted on Mon, 17 Aug 2015 in General Health
Question: There are infections developed at few areas of my skin specailly on those areas which are exposed to SUN, mainly above elbow, arm, hands and open areas below ankle in legs, was been using CLOBEN g cream as prescibed by dermat before, but looks like it doesnt work anymore, request to guide me on better medication, have attached 4 images of the infection.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Oral steroids in addition to topical steroid cream

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have also reviewed the Images.

You seem to have an itchy, eczematous skin condition affecting these areas.

The cream you have been using contains a potent topical steroid i.e clobetasol propionate 0.05% and gentamicin.
Considering that there is extensive skin involvement and topical steroids alone have not been curative, therefore in my view I would suggest a course of Oral Steroids e.g either Methyprednisolone Or Deflazacort for at least 2-3 weeks in addition to the topical steroid cream that you have been using already.
Once significant improvement is achieved with oral steroids, they can be stopped. Thereafter topical steroids alone would suffice for any remaining skin involvement.
In addition I would suggest an Oral antihistamne e.g Cetrizine 10mg once daily for symptomatic relief from itching.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 3 minutes later
Will start the course from today eve, will update the results after 3 days of time if there are any improvements
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Follow up after a few days

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Oral steroids are usually given as a single daily dose in morning after breakfast.
While you are on Oral steroids you also need to take an antacid e.g pantoprazole on empty stomach once daily i.e before breakfast.
Surely you will notice improvement with this treatment protocol. You can let me know after a few days.
Oral steroids are prescription medications and should only be taken under supervision of doctor and only for the duration prescribed.
You can also share my opinion with your treating doctor.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 9 minutes later
And one more thing is i normally get this infection during rainy season almost every year, isnt there any permanent solution so that i can get rid of this completely
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Long term prognosis is good

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

This is an eczematous condition. There can be a few flares but managing it effectively and timely with appropriate topical and oral treatment gives gratifying results. Long term prognosis is good. The important thing is to treat individual flares effectively and appropriately with oral and topical treatments rather than just trying to manage it conservatively with topical steroids.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist