Suggest treatment for skin burn

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 21 Apr 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi Doctor, My mother got burns accidentally while cooking. These marks appear on her forehead and hand. I have taken her to a skin specialist immediately and he had prescribed chitomesh cream. Attached is the prescription and also a image of the burn mark. Would be grateful if you please provide your opinion if the treatment prescribed is satisfactory, as I am a little worried. I forgot to mention that these burns were caused due to spilling of hot cooking oil accidentally on face and hand. Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 48 minutes later
Brief Answer: She can continue the cream application Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Welcome and thanks for posting your query to the forum. I am quite empathetic to know that your mother got burns accidentally while cooking. I have gone through the picture of hand as well as the prescription by the dermatologist. After analyzing the picture and correlating the treatment I can fully assure you that the cream given to your mother is perfectly alright. Chitomesh SF cream contains fusidic acid which is an antibacterial agent and will prevent the chances of any kind of secondary infection in the affected areas. She can continue to apply the cream for next 7 days. I have one suggestion at this point that application of calamine lotion will help more in two of the ways: the one by soothing the area and the other by forming a protective layer on the top of affected area. THis will not only help her in early healing but also protect from direct touching and from the sun light. You can see that the burn marks are dark brown to blackish now which shows that the burn was of very superficial nature. In next of 5-7 days the skin will peel off by itself and then fall off completely in around 10- 14 days. At that point of time I would have preferred to apply a mild steroid such as Fluticasone cream for 7-10 days after peeling of the skin so that the chances of marks after burn can be reduced. A sunscreen on face would also be quite helpful to reduce the marks. Make it sure that she is not exposing the area to direct sunlight as well as to direct environmental factors. It is also very important that she should not touch the area at all and do not try to take off the skin at all as can cause pigmentation as well as infection. Your mother will be alright in next 7-14 days. I hope these information will help you. I will be glad to answer any further of your queries. With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Follow up: Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 4 hours later
Thanks a lot for your response Dr.Kanodia. I have raised questions on health care magic earlier but have never recieved a detailed response like yours. I really appreciate it and thanks again for the help. Just wanted to check if sunscreen or calamine lotion can be applied on top of the skin area where Chitomesh SF cream has been applied. Also please recommend a good sunscreen for her.
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Photoban 30 or Melagard Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX I am highly thankful for your appreciation. Your appreciation is a continuous source of inspiration to work best in the filed of Medical science and thence in dermatology. As guided earlier- the calamine lotion can be applied for next 7 days of period form now. It means that till the time the skin starts peeling off in next 7 days your mother can apply the calamine lotion. After the skin starts peeling off in next 7 days she can start with a sunscreen lotion (such as Photoban 30 or Melagard). Apply this after 7 days of period and can be applied for 2-3 times in a thin layer. Though there are chances of slight pigmentation for sometime but resolve after few weeks of period. A very important thing which I again want to mention is that neither you or your mother should try to take out the dry skin or the peeling skin. Let you make it sure that the skin should not peeled off by any means and let it fall off by itself. I hope all these informations are helpful and ease your as well the sweet lady's mind for whom you take care so much. I really appreciate your feelings as a son. God bless you!! I will be glad to answer any further of your queries or if not then can close the query and rate the answer. For any of your skin queries in future you can ask me directly at: bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
You have made my experience with health care magic memorable. I can't thank you enough. Best regards, XXXX
Answered by Dr. Sanjay Kumar Kanodia 37 hours later
Brief Answer: Thanks a ton!!! Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX Sorry to reply you late. I am highly pleased to know your views regarding our forum. Your reviews made my day memorable. Heartily thanks for all the things!!! You can close the query and rate the answer. For any of your skin queries in future you can ask me directly at: bit.ly/drsanjaykanodia With regards, Dr Sanjay Kumar Kanodia MD- Dermatology