Suggest treatment for side effects of Epilan
Both MRI and EEG are needed to decide about stopping drugs
Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas, and I am here to help you. I have read your question with care and understand your concerns.
Let me try to address them
1. Anti epileptic drugs do have side effects, but side effects of fits are many times more dangerous than side effects of these drugs. So we have to choose the lesser evil
2. You have to do both EEG and MRI Brain. If any one is abnormal, she has to continue drugs. there is no other way
If both are normal, we can taper the drugs. after tapering the drugs for 3 weeks, you have to repeat the EEG. If it is still normal, we can taper further. If EEG becomes abnormal after tapering, she has to take drugs life long
If the EEG is normal at 3 weeks, we will continue to taper and take another EEG at 6 weeks. If it becomes abnormal, we will start drugs at the dose we had in third week. If it is normal, we will reduce the dose further
We repeat the same process at 9th and 12th week
If EEG becomes abnormal at any stage, we continue the drugs at the dose of previous stage
If EEG is normal, we can stop the drugs altogether
This is the protocol we follow and many people have stopped drugs and are living without fits for more than five years
Hope you found the answer helpful.
If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions.
Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Let me know if I can assist you further.
PS 1 : After all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.
PS 2 : In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly in HealthCareMagic at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
No need of other tests. Govt Hospital tests are Enough
1. You have to taper Carbamazapine first followed by Phenytoin
2. No need of other tests
3. You can do the tests from Govt Hospitals
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Side effect on radioactive treatment
- Melacare side effect treatment suggested by doctor
- Side effects of fertility treatment
- Suggest treatment for lisinipril withdrawl side effects
- Driclor side effects treatment
- Suggest treatment for side effects caused by overdose of parecetamol
- Side effects of malaria treatment
- Suggest treatment for nicotine withdrawal side effects
- Suggest treatment to treat propofol side effects
- Side effects of melanocyl treatment