• question-icon

What does my lab test report indicate?

Posted on Tue, 26 Jul 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi,

Myself xxxxx. We had a baby boy on 17th XXXXXXX 2016 with weight 3.98 KGS. So far so good, later on 26th XXXXXXX midnight suddenly he got fits. We admitted him into nearby Pediatric hospital and later they took CT scan. Find the attached report as for the same. He has been recommended following Syrups

1. Gardenal (Phenobarbitone) - twice a day
2. Levipil (Levetiracetam) - once a day

Now are are continuing these syrups and we didn't observed such behavior later.

What could be root cause of this problem? Will this problem will get clear after certain days of medication. How long we have to use continue these medication.

Also doctor recommended to take MRI to brain. Not sure of taking MRI for 20 days baby!! What do you suggest. Is it okay to take MRI for 20 days baby? Or would you recommend to take him any other neurology specialist for second opinion?

Let me know if you need any more information.

Thanks,
xxxxxxxxxxx
Answered by Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please do MRI Brain as Suggested. We can Plan based on MRI

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthCareMagic.com I am Dr.J XXXXXXX Anto Bruno Mascarenhas, and I am here to help you. I have read your question with care and understand your concerns.

Let me answer your questions one by one

Q 1. What could be root cause of this problem?
A 1. The possibilities are
a) Low Oxygen to the child before, during or after child birth which has led to brain damage
b) Low Oxygen to the child before, during or after child birth which has led to brain dysfunction
c ) Metabolic Problems like Low Sugar etc

Q 2. Will this problem will get clear after certain days of medication. How long we have to use continue these medication.
A 2. If this is due to
Then it is a permanent problem

If this is due to
then, this will get corrected in 6 to 18 months

If this is due to
then, this will get corrected in a week

Q 3. Also doctor recommended to take MRI to brain. Not sure of taking MRI for 20 days baby!! What do you suggest. Is it okay to take MRI for 20 days baby? Or would you recommend to take him any other neurology specialist for second opinion?
A 3. Please take MRI. There is nothing wrong in doing a MRI for 20 days baby. There is no need to ask for second opinion for such common things.

Q 4. Let me know if you need any more information.
A 4. After you take the MRI, Share the Reports with me at at http://bit.ly/askdrbruno
I will go through them and suggest what can be done

Hope you found the answer helpful. If you need any clarification / have doubts / have additional questions / have follow up questions, then please do not hesitate in asking again. I will be happy to answer your questions. Let me know if I can assist you further. If all your doubts have been cleared, kindly (a) Close this Question (b) Rate my Replies and (c) Give your Feedback.

Best Wishes for Speedy Recovery
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Dr. Bruno Mascarenhas

Neurologist, Surgical