Suggest treatment for side effects of Brilinta

Dr. Benard Shehu

Cardiologist

Posted on Thu, 25 Aug 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I have had 2 stents placed around 2 weeks back and was put on Brilinita 2 tablets of 90 mg each per day. Ever since I have started using this medication, I have had a headache all around my head - its not very painful but it is annoying, seems like slight electricity in my head all the time, along with this I am having chest pain on my right side which comes and goes - my cardiologist told me its got nothing to do with Brilinta - I am not too sure as my other issues such as blood pressure and diabetes is very much in control. Nothing else is wrong with me. Anyone else has had similar effect while using Brilinta?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you for asking!
I read your query and understood your concerns.

Headache is a common side effects of Brilinta use. Howewver, since Brilinta is an important preparation in the therapy of patients who has done recently stents, you shouldn't quit it.

If the pain is relieved with the use of NSAID or Paracetamol/codeine combination you should continue with this drugs.

Otherwise (the pain is very intense and unsupportive) you should discuss with your doctor about substituting Brilinta with Plavix or Efient.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu
Follow up: Dr. Benard Shehu 12 minutes later
Hi thanks for your reply.

I would like to tell you its not a normal headache. This headache is not painful but its heavyness around the whole scalp especially right on top. Is his normal as i never experienced this before when i had a headache. I took some painkillers like ponston but the pain didnt go away. The doctor then prescribed me NSAID gel - Voltaren Emugel - but i did not use it much as i read on the internet that NSAID should not be used with Brilinta as it may be risky - is this true? Doctor also prescribed me lyrica 150 mg twice a day - i took it one time without major help and honestly i do not want to get addicted to a drug like lyrica. Also you did not answer regarding my right side chest pain also feels like heaviness - is this due to the stent procedure as its just been done recently?
Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Following advice

Detailed Answer:
Hi back,

As I said above you may take parcetamol/codeine combination to relieve headache instead of NSAID.

Yes you are right using NSAID should be done with care because these drugs interact with Brilinta causing gastrointestinal bleedings.

The chest pain may be a side effect of Brilinta tue, but in most of the cases is normal to have chest pain the first two weeks of coronary stenting.

If the pain persist after two weeks or will become more intense you should do as follows:
- Blood work
- ECG
- Cardiac echo

If everything is ok than the chest pain is definitely a side effect of Brilinta.

Hope this will be of help!
Wish you health!
Dr. Shehu