• question-icon

Suggest treatment for shortness of breath, dizziness and chest pain

Posted on Mon, 7 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: i have shortness of breath, dizziness, chest pain, and upper back pain
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would like to have some more information on your chest pain:

- Is it related to food intake? Do you have burping? This would indicated possible gastritis or gastro-esophageal reflux.
- Is the pain triggered by deep breathing or body movements? This would indicate possible musculo-skeletal pain.
- Do you have fever? This would indicate possible lung infection.
- What are your blood pressure and heart rate values?
- Have you had back pain before. Chronic degenerations of the vertebral column can mimic this clinical scenario.

I recommend having some rest and taking ibuprofen.

If the pain persists beside the above measures, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician for a careful physical exam and some tests:

- a chest X ray Study
- a cervico-thoracic lumbar spine X ray study
- a resting ECG
- complete blood count, PCR and ESR for inflammation.

A fibrogastroscopy may be needed if suspicions on gastritis of gastro-esophageal reflux are raised.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri
Follow up: Dr. Ilir Sharka 8 minutes later
I seem to have it all day. It comes and goes. I do have burping, I tums but i doesnt seem to do anything.

-i have no fever
-blood pressure is normal

My stool has been black for a few weeks now. I thought i was because i have been taking folic acid, iron pills, and floradix for an up coming surgery i having.
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 13 hours later
Brief Answer:
I would explain as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello again!

Thank you for the additional information!

Your symptoms seem to be related to gastritis or gastroesophageal reflux.

For this reason, I recommend you to take an antiacid or PPI ( omeprazole, etc.).

The black stool are related to iron intake. But you should know that iron can also cause indigestion and similar symptoms like yours as an adverse effect.

But there is nothing to worry! Your complaints are no indicative of any serious medical disorder!

Hope to have been helpful!

Wishing all the best,

Dr.Iliri
Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist