Suggest treatment for shortness of breath and pain in arm

Posted on Thu, 4 Feb 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello
I am here for an update yrsterday I started to feel a pain in one spot in my left upper arm between my shoulder and elbow as well sometimes I get a wrist ache
No breathing problems no neasea no shortness of breath but this pain comes and goes
My most recent test
Blood pressure normal
Weight normal
Blood work including traponin normal
What can be causing this I did these tests before Christmas still waiting for my echo to come back
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You have nothing to worry about!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome back on HCM!

I reviewed your current complaints and would like to reassure you that your left arm pain, localized in one spot is not typical of cardiac ischemia.

These pain features can exclude any cardiac disorders. Knowing the physiopathology of cardiac ischemia and the irradiation of the pain, as a specialist of this field, I can say for sure that cardiac ischemia can be completely excluded in this clinical situation.

From the other hand, if it were related to cardiac ischemia, your troponin levels would not be normal. But this has not happened.

So just try to relax and do not worry about it!

A pinched nerve pain would also be less probable, as it would cause irradiating pain in a specific region (linear surface on your arm) and not just one spot.

Your symptoms are more compatible with fibromyalgia diagnosis.

What are your actual therapy for fibromyoalgia?

I recommend discussing with your attending physician on the possibility of starting Duloxetine (or any other SSRI if you can not take it).

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing all the best for this New Year!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist