• question-icon

Suggest treatment for sharp chest pain

Posted on Thu, 29 Jun 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hello doctor,

So in a matter of an hour, a sudden sharp chest pain came on (quasi-centered but more to the right than the left). It doesn't feel particularly deep in my chest (almost as if it was a pulled muscle) but this isn't the first time I've had chest pain like this. I don't feel out of breath or have left arm or jaw pain. When I do breathe in deeply, I feel it much more on the right side (almost where the lung is). It's happened about four other times and those EKGs came back normal (along with a cardiologist looking at the recent one). A doctor at my family care office suggested reflux causing heart attach symptoms (considering that I'm only 30 and have some GI issues). I don't want to go to the ER just for their EKG to come back normal; as I have a heart ultrasound tomorrow (cardiologist just wants to make sure everything is ok).

Does reflux sound like it could cause this?

Thank you,
Chase
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes it can

Detailed Answer:
Welcome.
This is Dr Sameer, cardiologist.
Cardiac pain is non localized i.e. it is diffused which increase on exertion or stress & decrease with rest. It is generally on the left side or centre of chest but can sometimes be on the right side. It does not decrease with pain killers.

Their are other causes of chest pain like Costochondritis (inflammation of joint between bone & cartilage of chest wall) or muscle pain. Both are localized pain & decrease by pain killer.
GERD(Gastro esophageal reflux disease) is also one of the cause where pain is central. It has no effect of exertion.
It is always very important to rule out cardiac nature of pain. So despite doing only echo(ultrasound of heart) you should get a stress echo done & if negative you can be sure that it is not cardiac.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 1 hour later
Understood. Im rescheduling my stress test tomorrow for later in this week or next for sure.

This isnt the first time its happened and everytime it has (especially when happening on the left side), after an ekg, the doctors relay that they think its gastric and not cardiac.

If i may ask, i noticed that when i was holding my phone up while laying in bed, ive had central non painful muscle spasms
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Stress test will rule out any cardiac pain

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Stress test is a very good test which will rule out any underlying cardiac disease. So it is definitely better than doing a simple echo.
If that is negative than possibility of underlying cardiac disease is very low.
Muscle pain can be simply treated with pain killer. Gastric reflux disease is treated with drugs like Pantoprazole 40mg twice daily.
If you have any more question, I'll be happy to help.
Thanks & take care
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Follow up: Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 5 hours later
Ok im doing the treadmill stress test this thursday. Hopefully that will rule this out .
Answered by Dr. Sameer Maheshwari 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
yes sure

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.
Stress test will definitely rule out any cardiac cause for pain. And i hope it comes out fine.
If you have any question in future, I'll be glad to help you.
Thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Sameer Maheshwari

Cardiologist