• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe throat infection with fever and difficulty in swallowing

Posted on Sat, 4 Jun 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I have just got over a throat infection treated with penicillin after having fevers and unable to swallow for 2 weeks.... This is the third week I have felt unwell... Still hurts to swallow, last Thursday woke up with excruciating pain left ribs making me take shallow breaths so it didn't hurt, dr said ?pleurisy... Thought was improving then this morning pain 10x worse not controlled with pain killers, pain on movement and spasming taking breath away and shortness of breath
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Supportive care and pain management

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Sore throat for two weeks followed by painful ribs on deep breathing and difficulty swallowing are sequelae of a simple some throat involving airways. As far as sore throat is concerned, all you need to do it continue supportive care like salt water gargles frequently, avoiding triggers in foods, rest your voice, drink plenty of fluids and use some anti inflammatory medicine to help the pain and swelling like advil or short doses of corticosteroids even.

This chest pain in lest ribs should be evaluated for gastric pain as well, as gastritis and acid reflux are more common and notorious for such complaint. Even if the doctor is right regarding pleural membrane involvement, the pain killers and rest is all one can do. So hang in there, use the medicines for the pain and get a regular followup.

I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan