Suggest treatment for severe sleepiness after taking Trazodone and Gabapentin

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Fri, 16 Sep 2016 in Brain and Spine
Question: Yes, I have severe sleep aphnae and normally take 1600 mg of Gabapentin @ bedtime but my Dr. mentioned to try 1200 mg @ bedtime w/ l or 2 Trazodone 50 mg. I did take the 1200 mg Gabapentin @ bedtime w/ 2 Trazodone 50 mg and am feeling so sleepy and it is now 12:30 pm. I have had several cups of coffee which I thought would help but it really hasn't helped. I will lay down as we need to go to my daughters house for dinner and of course my husband will drive. I am a 80 year old female. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX

Where is my answer.. I feel I may have been misled and may have to notiiy the BBB is I don't get an answer soon. I am 80 and only use the computer and will be looking for an answer very soon. Thank you very much.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

You are so sleepy because the dose of trazodone you are taking is much too high. You should take no more than 25mg of trazodone at night, about 30 minutes before you want to fall asleep. You were taking four times this much, which is causing extreme tiredness. By decreasing the dose, you will feel much better.

Please let me know if there's any further queries..
Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee