• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe sciatica in an elderly person

Posted on Tue, 25 Jul 2017 in Pain Management
Question: Hello, I am female over 70,but healthy and active. I take no medication. However, after heavy work cleaning up after a storm, I have severe sciatica. The piriformis muscle is likely inflamed. Affected my left leg initially, but now extremely painful in my left leg hip to knee. Question: can I work this out? Heat relieves to a point, as does lying down, but perhaps this exacerbates the problem. How about exercise? Rest? Any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks, Pat.
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 34 minutes later
Brief Answer:
severa issues

Detailed Answer:
first is the exact problem if it is a musculo-skeletal issue (performs, sore back, etc) then it is like any other sore muscle rest for a few days and gradually increase and the work out prevents it from getting worse

or it could be a lot of hterothings. Disk disease being the most likely affecting about 10% of the population. While the initial recommendations might be the exam there has to be evaluation to see if there is a risk of spinal damage. the [articular exercises are fairly different for each condition.
Follow up: Dr. Matt Wachsman 26 minutes later
No follow up. Will continue as I have been.
Thanks.
P.S. As a mother, I now form the opinion that birthing a baby is preferable to this situation. Talk about painful....
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you are very welcome

Detailed Answer:
Well with birthing a baby things get better over time, there's an end in sight, and much XXXXXXX and with back pain it is the opposite.

Oh wait! Kid moved back into the house after college. No, I lied. birthing is worse.
sorry.
Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist