Suggest treatment for severe prostate infection

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Last night I went to the ER and was diagnosed with a severe prostate infection. I was given an antibiotic and some Acetami/Codein for pain. The problem: The pain isn't going away, it's getting worse in fact. It's into my stomach and shooting down my upper legs. What do you advise? I understand the antibiotic may take a couple of days but I don't understand the pain getting worse.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You might need the pain medications to be adjusted ? What are the dosages ?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for contacting us.

Yes you're right, the antibiotics would take some more time before they can control the infection and thus the pain. In the interim, we need to advice drugs that are able to control your pain well. What drugs we suggest depends upon the level of your pain.

From your description, the medications are not well adapted yet. We may need to adjust the dosages or pass on to a higher pain control medication. I will suggest that you take to the doctor who prescribed it about the persistence and severity of your pain so that he can adjust the dosages.

Do let me know the dosages so that I can advice on them too.

I hope this helps in providing guidance on how to take this forward. I wish you well. Keep me posted on how it all goes.

Kind regards!.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee