• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe pain under the kneecap

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: for the past two weeks i have had severe pain when I first stand up after sitting, knee doesn't bear weight. Came on suddenly, no recollection of having injured myself. After I walk a few steps it is better but I still feel some soreness. seems to be on the inside lower portion of my left knee just under the kneecap.
Answered by Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan 38 minutes later
Brief Answer
NSAIDs ( non steroidal anti-inflammatory ) tabs , physiotherapy and gentle massages with topical gels is effective in most of cases .

Detailed Answer:
Hi i am Dr Ahmed Aly
thanks for using HealthcareMagic site ,
I had gone through your question and understand your concerns ..

I hope your knee feels better soon , in my opinion it seems to be a type of osteochondritis which means an inflammation in the origin of tendons with bones . this case is very common in rheumatoid or gouty patients . also may occur due to obesity , over weighing , bad sitting or sleeping postures , also common with aging and postmenopausal females due to osteoporosis or bone weakening with aging and hormonal profiles .
For my patients i recommend painkillers like advil tabs when needed , hot gentle massaging with topical anti-inflammatory gels and physiotherapy will be effective in most of the cases . steroid tabs or injections are prescribed in more chronic cases or patients with rheumatoid patients .
Try to avoid salty high protein meals and avoid vigorous movements , maintain good hydration and if your pain persists i recommend further investigations like SUA ( serum uric acid ) , urine analysis , CRP , Rf ( rheumatoid factor ) and follow them up with your physician for proper evaluation and management .

Please click and consider a 5 star rating with some positive feedback if the information was helpful. Wish you good health,
Any further clarifications feel free to ask.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Ahmed Aly Hassan

Orthopaedic Surgeon