Suggest treatment for severe pain in hip

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 2 Feb 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: My right hip occasionally gets a shooting pain if I do any prolonged standing walking, i.e. 45 minutes or more. It creates a burning sensation that makes it difficult to stand. Right now I am sitting and the pull from my hip to my knee is causing a dull achiness radiating from my upper thigh to the inside of my right knee. Is this just something I should apply heat and ice and take Advil for? Or should I contact my GP or locate a orthopedic to have it evaluated?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Usually resolves with rest, heat and pain killers.

Detailed Answer:
The occasional pain in the hip that you described is likely to be stress related. There can be minor capsular inflammation or bursitis.
It usually resolves with rest, pain killers and heat. In some cases in case the pain is persistent then oral muscle relaxant may be needed.
In case there is any sharp persistent pain then do consult an orthopedician and get an MRI scan done to find out the exact cause.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal