Suggest treatment for severe muscle cramps in the legs

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 16 Apr 2018 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have severe muscle cramps in my legs and have begun taking 1500mg of magnesium and it seems to be working am I taking too much?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The dose is correct.

Detailed Answer:
An electrolyte imbalance can cause such cramps. 1500mg of magnesium supplements are alright in case the levels are low. It is best to get your serum levels evaluated to know the exact time for which this would be helpful.
Also eat magnesium rich foods like bananas, beans, chickpeas, fish, nuts, soybeans, spinach etc which are natural sources of magnesium.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Thank you for the follow-up I will have the serum level checked but the relief that the additional magnesium has given me is fantastic. Hopefully, I can get the level back where it should be soon, but the supplement is a much cheaper alternative. Thanks again.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
You are welcome.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thank you.
I am happy I could help.
Please do recommend our services to others too in case you found them helpful. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal
Wishing you the best in whatever you do.
Best regards.