• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe knee pain due to arthritis

Posted on Fri, 21 Jul 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have been diagnosed with arthritis in my knees and have been having accupuncture for it since diagnosed. It has helped quite abit with the pain but now I have trouble with pain in my knees when sitting or standing. Is this arthritis spreading or what is going on? My knees now tend to "pop" and I was wondering if that is also normal?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Due to Osteoarthritic changes

Detailed Answer:
Osteoarthritic changes are basically age related degenerative changes in the weight bearing joints like knee and is characterized by joint pain and stiffness. Upon movement the stiffness gradually relives. Sometimes application of hot pads can make the movement possible.
The treatment options include pain killers, hot fomentation, lubricating agents like glucosamine sulfate, chondroitin , dycerin, etc and some life style modifications and physiotherapy.
Pop in the joint and gradual increase in symptoms suggests gradual disease progress.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon