Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
131 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for severe itching in the penis caused by a fungal infection

Answered by
Dr. Noble Zachariah

Internal Medicine Specialist

Practicing since :1974

Answered : 2276 Questions

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My boy is in prison, his foreskin has a horrible itching. he's put hydrocortizone cream already and anti itch cream and antibiotic cream and does not know what they will do for him but has no idea what he should do.
Looks normal its not red it has no bumps or anything at all to make it look out the normal. It is nor constant, it comes and goes every few days for about two months. Is there a pill that the jail might be able to give him? Thank you kindly.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your son probably has a fungal infection like the yeast infection. Hydrocortisone only gives a temporary relief and it is likely to become worse when he stops applying the cream.
If he has no access to a doctor , he could try applying an antifungal cream like canesten cream. Also check a blood sugar as such infections are more in people with diabetes.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 6 days later
Not sure if this is where I could continue my question ? It seems that this horrible irritation and itching was due to some cream that someone gave him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions follow.

Detailed Answer:
Please give him an antihistamine tablet like Zyrtec to reduce the itching.
He requires to be investigated for a fungal infection. If the same is present, he requires to have an antifungal medicine like Flucanazole.
He should also have his blood sugar tested and treated if high.
May be you could meet the prison doctor and discuss his problem.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,  

Recent questions on  Canesten

doctor1 MD

hi there, ive had a fungal infection on the head and forskin of my penis for about a month now. all the creams the docs have given me are not...

doctor1 MD

Hi,hubby and i have been ttc for 3 months now,on monday i finished a 10 day dose of augumentin for UTI,2 days ago i started feeling very itchy...

doctor1 MD

The fore skin of my penis break each time after an intercourse with my wife. It heal after a few days later. It's been going on for 2 month like...

doctor1 MD

The tip of my penis is red and irritated, when I first started noticing the irritation , I would frequently have discharge coming out . Usually it...