Suggest treatment for severe itching in the penis caused by a fungal infection

Dr. Noble Zachariah

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Asthma and Allergy
Question: My boy is in prison, his foreskin has a horrible itching. he's put hydrocortizone cream already and anti itch cream and antibiotic cream and does not know what they will do for him but has no idea what he should do.
Looks normal its not red it has no bumps or anything at all to make it look out the normal. It is nor constant, it comes and goes every few days for about two months. Is there a pill that the jail might be able to give him? Thank you kindly.
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
May be a fungal infection

Detailed Answer:

Welcome and thanks for your query.
Your son probably has a fungal infection like the yeast infection. Hydrocortisone only gives a temporary relief and it is likely to become worse when he stops applying the cream.
If he has no access to a doctor , he could try applying an antifungal cream like canesten cream. Also check a blood sugar as such infections are more in people with diabetes.
Do get back to me if you have further queries.
Follow up: Dr. Noble Zachariah 6 days later
Not sure if this is where I could continue my question ? It seems that this horrible irritation and itching was due to some cream that someone gave him. Any suggestions would be much appreciated thank you. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Noble Zachariah 35 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions follow.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome
Please give him an antihistamine tablet like Zyrtec to reduce the itching.
He requires to be investigated for a fungal infection. If the same is present, he requires to have an antifungal medicine like Flucanazole.
He should also have his blood sugar tested and treated if high.
May be you could meet the prison doctor and discuss his problem.