How to treat fungal infection on the head of the penis?

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Sat, 10 Mar 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi there, ive had a fungal infection on the head and forskin of my penis for about a month now. all the creams the docs have given me are not working, it seems to get better, then worse....my question though, it is very painful when i clean it with water, is this normal? any more suggestions on how to get rid of it would be great.
thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload Images

Detailed Answer:
Hello. thank you.
ai am Dr. kakkar (Dermatologist and Venerelogist). I have noted your concern.

Fungal infection of the glans and foreskin is usually caused by a yeast - candida albicans - Candidal balanoposthitis There may be redness, swelling, itching as well as cracks in the foreskin. This may be also accompanied by difficulty in retracting prepuce and pain on forcible retraction. Recurrent or resistant Candidal balanoposthitis could be due to underlying predispositing factors like raised blood glucose in diabetics.
Candidal balanoposthitis may mimic other conditions like zoon's balanitis or sometimes genital herpes. Therefore i request you to kindly upload a few images in "Reports Section" so that I am able to guide you better. Also lt me know what all creams have you been using? were you given any oral antifungal?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 days later
I've been using kenacomb and canesten with novasone.
thanks
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not fungal infection

Detailed Answer:
Thank you.

I can see erosions involving almost the whole of glans and a few erosions on the shaft of penis.
This is definitely not of fungal etiology.
I will keep a possibility of either Genital Herpes Or Erosive Lichen planus.
You should get a HSV DNA PCR test from the eroded area to confirm or rule out Herpes simplex infection.
Treatment for Erosive Lichen planus and for Genital Herpes is entirely different.
Are there erosions elsewhere e.g oral mucosa?
Are you sexually active? do you have a risky sexual behaviour?

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 2 minutes later
I always use condoms when having sex, i would not say i have risky sex at all....
No erosions elsewhere.
Thanks
Brief Answer:
Regarding penile erosions

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

HSV type 2 can be transmitted despite protected sex because a condom covers only a portion of the penile shaft and leaves a lot of skin exposed for skin to skin contact at the base of penile shaft during intercourse. I would certainly like to rule out genital herpes first.