Suggest treatment for severe hip pain while on steroids

Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 23 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I had severe hip pain a couple of weeks ago, so my doctor had me go for an x-ray and ultrasound to check the joint. The joint was fine and she put me on a 5 day oral steroid pack. I noticed maybe two days into using it my hip was red and then turned into a XXXXXXX and is now peeling. I'm never out in the sun so I'm naturally concerned. Could any of the three things mentioned above cause the burn? I called my primary doctor and they said I would need to go in to get looked at and I called the imaging center and they said you definitely cannot be affected in that way by an x-ray.
Answered by Dr. Iven Romic Rommstein 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome.
Xrays and ultrasound can't cause such things definitely. However,steroids affect our tissue including skin and may lead to skin thinning and drying,especially if it is applied locally,but also, oral intake may have such effects. Also,some allergic reactions to other substances should be considered. Wish you good health. Regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T