Suggest treatment for severe headaches
Migraine most common cause
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.
Generally headaches involving half of the head in a young individual are due to migraine. However some more info would be helpful, how long do the episodes last (migraine usually lasts 4-72 hours), is there any nausea or vomiting, is there increased sensitivity to noise or light (do you want to stay alone in the dark during the episodes), pain quality (is the headache pulsating, pressure like etc), any other family member with migraine. Regarding treatment also would be necessary to know what you have already tried and how often do the episodes occur (how many times per week/month).
The reason I am asking all these questions is that headache causes can be so many, their classification includes hundreds of different types, many involving half of the head. So they are differentiated by accompanying details and at times when things do not fit with migraine there may be the need of brain imaging. Only when the diagnosis is certain can we discuss treatment of the headache attacks as well as the need for preventive treatment if attacks are frequent.
I remain at your disposal for other questions, possibly providing the info I mention above.
More information is needed.
Thank you for that information. However apart from understanding the pain is pulsating, I am afraid that you haven't answered any of the questions which I asked. I will try to list them below:
- duration: minute, hours, days?
- manner of onset: does it reach maximum intensity in a matter of seconds or increases gradually in a few hours?
- frequency, you say regularly but does it mean every hour/day/week/month? And since when, have they been going on for months or years?
- accompanying phenomena: nausea, vomiting, increased sensitivity to light and sounds, eye tearing and redness, nose congestion etc, anything.
- any triggering factor (say lack of sleep, coffee, sex, certain foods or drinks etc)
- are there other family members with migraine
- medication you have tried, how effective they've been
Please try to answer the questions above so that I can give an informed opinion. Based on what you provide migraine would still be the most probable cause.
Looking forward to hearing from you again.
Thank you for the additional information.
There are two aspects of the pain, the treatment of the acute attack and preventive treatment. For treatment of the acute attack since you do not mention to have tried any medication I would advise taking an anti-inflammatory over the counter painkiller such as Ibuprofen 400 mg. It is important to take it as soon as you feel the headache coming, not wait until it fully develops.
As for prevention treatment that depends on the frequency of attacks. If over 2 attacks per month I would suggest to start preventive treatment like amitriptyline. If less frequent than that I would limit myself only with treatment of the attacks.
I remain at your disposal for other questions.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Suggest treatment for severe headache with bp
- Severe headache with fever suggest treatment
- What is the treatment for severe headaches
- Treatment for severe headaches
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches due to naspopharangeal carcinoma
- Severe headache with nausea treatment
- Suggest treatment for severe headaches and eye pain
- Suggest treatment for severe headache and continuous cold
- Treatment and cure for Severe headache
- Suggest treatment for severe headache