Suggest treatment for severe diarrhea

Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf

Posted on Wed, 7 Sep 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had loose stool for a few years now. I have not yet seen a doctor about it, but plan to soon. I'm wondering if you could let me know what my symptoms could be a result of. Aside from the loose stools, most times when I urinate, I also have at least a small bowel movement. I also have quite loud stomach noises sometimes, even when I do not need to have a bowel movement.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need some details to guide you better

Detailed Answer:
Hello

My name is Dr Muhammad Ali Rauf & i will look into your problem.

I have gone through your query and would try to help you in the best possible way. There could be a number of causes for your complaint. most common includes irritable bowel syndrome, drug induced and parasitic infection. I can guide you better for management if you answer following questions please:

1. how many stools are you passing per day?
2. Is there associated history of lower abdominal pain?
3. Is there history of alternate constipation and diarrhea? I mean for some days you have constipation and then diarrhea starts.
4. Does loose stool appear ribbon like and occurs in the morning or any time of the day?
5. Does urge to defecate increases after taking meal?
6. Are you on any medication?
7. is there appearance of blood or mucus in stool?
8. Is there history of incomplete emptying after you defecate?
9. Do you or anyone in the family has history of diabetes, hypertension or other illness?

I will be looking forward for the answer to conclude the discussion in the best interest of yours.
Thank You
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar
Follow up: Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 15 hours later
1. My best estimation is that I pass 3-4 stools every day.
2. Sometimes, at night, I'll wake up and have pain and gas and then have a bowel movement. (sometimes like 20 minutes before the bowel movement)
3. I've never been constipated for days. The only time I feel that it is difficult to have a bowel movement is when I first have painful gas for a few minutes, then have the BM.
4. I don't think the loose stool appears ribbon-like, but it is often thin (about the thickness of a pencil).
5. Yes, often very soon after I eat, I need to defecate.
6. I have not been on medication.
7. There is no appearance of blood or mucus in stool.
8. Yes. I often feel like there is more even after I defecate. I'll defecate a little and then only a few minutes later have to do it again.
9. My mother had heart disease. She also had breast cancer.
Answered by Dr. Muhammad Ali Rauf 31 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be Irritable Bowel Syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hello

Thank you for writing back. First of all please accept my apology for ate reply. Actually i was out of city and there was no internet facility. I have gone through your answers. Some individuals have sensitive bowel movements and can present with such symptoms. An important cause for these complaints includes Irritable Bowel Syndrome(IBS). An important cause that can result in IBS is stress. If there is anything related to stress in your life then you need to manage it as well. There is absolutely no need to worry. Combine following general & medical advise and you will improve:

1. General:
> Go out for a walk in the evening. It will change your environment and will make you fresh.
> If there is stress factors then you can visit a psychologist for "Cognitive behavioral therapy" who will guide you relaxation techniques.

2. Dietary Advise:
> Take high fiber diet (peas, beans, broccoli, etc) including psyllium (ispaghul hask)
> Avoid:
* fatty food & caffeine products
* Spicy food.
* Fruits & salads for the time being.

3. Medical Advise:
> Loperamide orally thrice a day

Hopefully you will see improvement in 3-4 days BUT If condition does not improve after taking this management then i would suggest you to visit hospital and get an appointment for a Gastroenterologist in your area. He will perform some tests to rule out any pathology.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help if not then don't forget to close the discussion and rate it.
Wishing you good health !!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D