Suggest treatment for severe cramps in legs, feet and back?

Posted on Wed, 24 Dec 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am having severe cramps in legs, feet, back, and arms/hands. So bad that they are waking me up during the night every 15-20 minutes and soreness during the next day. I drink lots of water, take magnesium tablets, have tried tonic water (for the quinine). I do have moderate to severe spinal stenosis. I need help please.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 12 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Getting a Serum Ferritin done, would be the first step

Detailed Answer:
Dear Friend.
Welcome To HCM. I am Dr Anshul Varshney.
I understand your concern.

There are two possibilities that we need to rule out:

1. Rest leg Leg Syndrome(RLS).
2. Neuropathic pain due to spinal stenosis.

In fact RLS can be due to Spinal Stenosis as well.

Important here is to find out the underlying cause of such cramps.

I advise you to get following :

1. Fasting Blood sugar.
2. Hemogram and Serum Ferritin.
3. Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels.

If these tests come out to be normal , then I would keep the cause as Spinal stenosis.
Had you been a patient in my clinic, in such a situation, I would normally advise following:

1. A combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine. (Pregabalin is a Prescription Medication)

2. SSRI like Duloxetine. It helps in pain relief in long term. Shows its effects in 4-6 weeks.

3. Physiotherapy and exercises.

4. In cases of severe pain, pain killer like Tramadol (Another prescription medication) which is relatively safe is to be used.

I hope this information helps.
If you have any further query , please ask me.
Stay Healthy.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Dr. Anshul Varshney