Suggest treatment for severe cough during pregnancy

Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist

Posted on Wed, 22 Jun 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hi.

My wife is pregnant and she is having very bad cough from last 3 days before she had infection in throught so dr gave he anibiotic , now what medicine can help he for cough although dr gave her syrup but no effect or inprovement in cough.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
We need to identify the cause of cough...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The cough following an upper respiratory tract infection is very common. First of all, we need to identify the root cause of the cough and then treat it accordingly.

In your wife's case, the cough could be due to the following:
1. Persistant inflammation in the throat
2. Postnasal drip
3. Acid reflux from the stomach into the throat due to pushing of the stomach by the enlarging uterus
4. Inflammation of the lower respiratory tract

My suggestions to you are:
1. Encourage her to drink frequent sips of warm water
2. To do steam inhalation 2-3 times a day
3. Use saline nasal spray, if she has any associated nasal block
4. Warm saline gargles can help in reducing the throat Inflammation and thus the cough
5. Over the counter antacids can be tried
6. If the symptoms do not get bettet, consult your doctor to rule out any chest infection

Hope this answers your query; I will be available for the follow up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad