Suggest treatment for severe back pain

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Back Pain
Question: Severe back pain right side above hip, above waist. Came on yesterday over 6 hours after got up. Maybe as result of lifting small dog night before.
Hurts with movement.

How long till answer gets answered. How long should try this treatment,
What kind of Dr. Should I see if doesn't improve soon?
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Back muscle strain

Detailed Answer:
Back muscle strain is one of the MOST common causes of acute to severe lower back pain. Lifting a heavy object, twisting, or a sudden movement can cause muscles or ligaments stretch or develop microscopic tears.
TREATMENT: Some general guidelines can help you to reduce lower back pain. These are as follows:

1) Take adequate bed REST with maintaining posture. Individuals who do not regularly exercise to build strength and flexibility are more likely to experience recurrent or prolonged lower back pain.

2) Alternate Hot water bottle or Ice pack can help to relieve most types of low back pain by reducing inflammation.

3) Non-Steroid Anti-Inflammatory Drugs (NSAIDs) are quite useful to reduce inflammation and back pain. You can continue with Aleve and tramadol.
In case the pain persists then do consult an orthopedician for oral muscle relaxants.
4) Exercise for Lower Back Pain : It is a key element of almost any lower back pain treatment plan. You may contact with Physiotherapist regarding this.

It includes 3 components: aerobic conditioning, stretching, and strengthening. The exercises are done through a controlled, progressive program to build more strong and flexible spine.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow up: Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 days later
Addressed answer looking for at time, didn't though answer how long should follow treatment, or what next step s/b if pain persist. Maybe see Orthopedic
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 27 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Wait for a week.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
You can follow abovesaid measures for a week and in case the pain persists then do consult an orthopedician.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.