Suggest treatment for severe back pain when having history of trauma

Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan

Posted on Sat, 10 Sep 2016 in Back Pain
Question: Hello,
I need to find a Dr that will help with my severe back pain from a car accident. I live in XXXXXXX In prefer someone close to me. I have been in pain over a year now. I have had physical therapy for months. I have had 8 spinal injections (medial branch block) I have also been to a chiropractor. I am out of options I feel at this point. I have also seen about 5 different Drs. 2pain management and an orthopedic dr as well. At this point I feel meds are the only thing that will help me on my really bad days. PLEASE HELP ME. I have also tried many different steriods,muscle relaxer and general over the counter pain meds only work every once in a while.
XXXXX

Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
surgery options should be considered

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for asking

I read your question and i understand your concern. Back pain with history of trauma and not responding to any conservative medication like painkillers, physiotherapy exercises and epidural steroids should be evaluated for further and consider for any surgical compression, as you are young and surgery will have a favourable outcome. It needs work up, MR scans of spine of lower back to rule out any nerve compression and then considering it for surgical decompression.

Talk to a spine surgeon in your nearest hospital and let them decide what is best for you.

I hope it helps. Take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.

Khan
Follow up: Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 20 minutes later
Ive heard back surgery generally causes more problems. I need more detailed information please.
i feel like im not getting an answer as to what is really wrong with me that is so frustrating! what makes you suggest surgery?
Answered by Dr. Shafi Ullah Khan 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Go for surgery

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for getting back to me

WIth back pain that severe and not responding to conservative management, i am afraid surgical correction is the only and preferable resort. If it may helps. i has this issue too at age 24. I beard the pain for 3 years like you trying to opt for conservative options, and none helped. So i finally opted for spine surgery , in my case it was trauma too leading to nerve compressions by disc. They released the compression and now i am healthy as new. So let me reassure, surgery has very promising outcomes. So go for it if the spine surgeon advises it.

I hope it helps.
Khan