Suggest treatment for severe anxiety

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: What is the cause of constant depersonalization/derealization? and how can you get rid of It? Thank you for your assistance
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 29 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Depersonalisation or derealisation could occur in severe anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related doubts

Depersonalisation is feeling of detachment of self while derealisation is altered perception or experience of external world. Both type of psychopathological symptoms could occur due to a number of causes. If we consider the biochemical causes then altered neuronal circuits in some brain areas results in symptoms of derealisation or depersonalisation. But as per DSM these are classified under Dissociative disorders.

Chronic anxiety states, severe stress, some times traumatic events in life usually trigger the symptoms of derealisation or depersonalisation. Chronic cannabis use even is known to cause these symptoms.

If you are doing otherwise normal and are experiencing the symptoms since long then proper evaluation is needed.

Do you have any history of anxiety or chronic stress?

Is there any persistent stress or history of traumatic events in your life?

Are there any triggering factors that result in symptoms of derealisation or depersonalisation?

Please provide these details so that we proceed further towards management.

Thanks. Take care

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 51 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply! I am thankful for your kindness.

I have suffered from anxiety disorder my whole life...with major panic attacks as well. the first time I got the symptoms of DP/DR was after a huge panic attack. I recently had another baby and have been suffering again greatly with these symptoms.

on top of that, I am also experiencing very scary I receive thoughts and images. I don't know how or why they occur as they are involuntary. There is nothing that makes them stop completely or go away.

I would like to know what is causing these thoughts and images, please. If you can help me figure that out, I will be most appreciative. Thank you kind sir for your assistance.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 57 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Anxiety is possible cause of obsessive thoughts images you are having.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again

Thanks for providing details. As I've mentioned severe anxiety could result in feelings of derealisation or depersonalisation. Persistent pervasive stress in long term leads to anxiety. Its common to develop derealisation or depersonalisation after major panic attacks.

The symptoms like scary intrusive thoughts, images could be due to anxiety only. Intrusive unwanted thoughts or images which are dominating and cause significant distress occur due to obsessions. Obsessive compulsive disorder is also an anxiety disorder. I am not saying that you have OCD but these thoughts are most probably due to obsessive thoughts.

Anxiety is the cause of symptoms you're having. A lot of possible reasons cause anxiety and obsessive thoughts. Reduced serotonergic neurotransmission results in anxiety. Developmental factors, psychological factors, repetitive stress are the reasons for development of anxiety.

But anxiety can be treated with medicines as well as psychosocial methods like behaviour therapy. SSRIs like Fluoxetine or Paroxetine are commonly preferred for anxiety and also for intrusive thoughts. The medicines will definitely help you to come out of anxiety.

So I'd advise you to visit a psychiatrist for evaluation.

Thanks.

Follow up: Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 56 minutes later
Thank you so much for your reply! yes, I have suffered from anxiety my whole life. But I never had the depersonalization before like this. I have been taking Effezor XR for a few weeks now and I have been increased on it as of this past Saturday to 150mgs. it has been making me feel a bit more anxious now but hoping that will change as my body gets used to it.

Do you think that the thoughts and images indicate a psychosis? I am terrified of having that. Please advise so that I can get the help that I need. Thank you so much!!!!!
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
The symptoms don't indicate psychosis.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking again

Yes when ever any SSRI or SNRI drug is started or increased in dose for first few days increased restlessness or anxiety are seen. This reduces by own in some days so no need to worry.

No I don't think these thoughts or images indicate psychosis. You have complete insight about these thoughts. This is not psychosis but due to anxiety only. In psychosis there is absence of insight and hallucinations are seen. Just continue to take Effexor as advised and if needed ask your doctor to augment the drug with some other antidepressant or mood stabiliser.

Thanks.