Suggest treatment for severe anxiety and depression

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello, I have been struggling with mild depression and a bit of anxiety for that last two months. I just don't feel right and I don't know why. I went and got a physical and blood was drawn and everything is normal except im deficient in vitamin d. I also have restless leg syndrome and been dealing with stress. I've recently read that magnesium may help however I'm a little worried about taking a supplement because of the scary side effects of taking extra magnesium if you're not truly deficient. Is it safe to supplement with magnesium???
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It is ok to take double the daily requirement

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

It is true that magnesium helps in anxiety and depression and some of the mild depression may be under control with supplementation of magnesium. Having said this it is never right to cross the limit to recommended daily intake but in case of magnesium you can supplement the amount equal to RDA in addition to food intake. To certain limit it is likely to add some additional benefit but if crossed the limit of double the RDA amount there is more chance of harmful effects than benefits.

I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 5 hours later
Thank you so much for your response. I'm currently taking sublingual b complex, 50,000 iu of vitamin d once a week and 400mg of sam-e...the magnesium that I bought is magnesium glycinate at 400mg. It says to take 3. Do I take 3 at once in the evening or spread them out through the the day??? I'm really hoping this works because I really haven't felt like myself the last two months. It tends to be a little worse in the morning. I can still function, go to work and be social but overall im not my normal self.
Brief Answer:
Follow up

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for follow up.

Taking three tablets of magnesium glycinate 400 mg will be too much and much higher than RDA. In my opinion you should limit yourself for either two tablets or ideally one tablet in 24 hour time.

I hope this helps you further.
Thanks and regards.

Follow up: Dr. Ashok Kumar 17 minutes later
Oh ok...the bottle said serving size is 3 but thank you for clarifying
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Thanks for follow up

Detailed Answer:
I am glad to know that information was useful for you.

Thanks and regards.