Suggest treatment for severe anal cramps

Dr. Ramadevi Wani

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: My girlfriend is having bad menstrual cramps but is also having bad anal cramps. This has never happened. She is in quite a bit of pain. She's 38 years old and In good health. Menstrual cycle started yesterday but today the normal cramps escalated.
Answered by Dr. Ramadevi Wani 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to take mefenamic acid or ibuprofen.

Detailed Answer:

Welcome to HealthcareMagic.
I am Dr Ramadevi Wani. I will be answering your concerns today.

There are commonly two possibilities for the anal cramps that she is having. Uterine cramps occur because of uterine muscle contractions. She is having the anal cramps due to shared nerve pathways.

It can also occur due to endometriosis, But this is not the case in her case.
Give her Mefenamic acid 500 mg three times daily or Ibuprofen 400 mg twice daily. These tablets need to be taken after eating and not on empty stomach.

I hope this is helpful.
If you have any further concerns I will be happy to answer.
Best wishes,
Dr Rama

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee