question-icon

Suggest treatment for pain in the lower back and abdomen

Posted on Tue, 29 Aug 2017
Question: Hi I have had pain in my lower back and especially my belly for the last 2 days.
No pain when urinating no pain when deficating.
The pain has woken me up the last 2 nights. I am a 59 age female and just had a pulmonary embolis
which is probably unrelated . The pain feels like severe menstrual cramps. Should I go to the hospital??
I really don't want to go but it I have to I will. Could it be a kidney stone??
Thanks XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri (5 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Yes could be Renal Stones

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic..
I thank you for posting your query here..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..
Please note..
No need to rush to ER now
1. There are many causes for pain in the lower back.
But most commonly, you are right. Could be because of Renal or Ureteric Calculus.

Please get an Ultrasound Abdomen And Pelvis to confirm this..
This will give us the clear picture..

2. Also, please note I'm suspecting a small embolism could lead to such problems.
You have a history of Embolism, and hence a small clot, could lead to ischemia of bowel and hence pain.

But, again you say bowel movements are OK.

So I go with option 1.

Hope this helps you, In case you need further assistance, please contact me back..
Or you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon